top of page

Filing an Employment Discrimination Complaint in New York State (Greater Rochester, NY)

If you're in New York State and you've faced harassment in the workplace or Employment Discrimination, then you need to know your options for making things right. Here at Mike Law Offices, we have assisted clients across a broad spectrum of job industries, and we are always happy to hear somebody out and provide them with options for remedying their scenario.

Business meeting


Hostile work environment? Workplace harassment? Employment discrimination? Breach of contract? Wage theft? Wrongful termination? This list, which could go on, includes only a few of the many issues our clients face day in and day out. But nobody should have to put up with feeling uncomfortable, unsafe, unwelcome, disrespected, or unworthy at their jobs when they show up and work hard every day.

At Mike Law Offices, Attorneys Michael Geraci and Michael Pattison hav represented many clients in Rochester, NY, and beyond who are going through these scenarios. They have gained invaluable experience winning cases on behalf of their clients.

But if you’re dealing with a work environment that you don’t believe has your best interests at heart and is in fact harming you or your ability to properly do your job, you probably have some questions about steps that you can take.

Listed below are just a few options that you may have if you’re having serious issues with your employer, employees, coworkers, clients, or contracts.

Luckily you’ve come to the right place, and if you reach out to Geraci Law Offices at 585-888-6453 (MIKE) or today, then we would be happy to hear about the details of your case.

Top methods for resolving workplace issues in New York State:

1. File a complaint with the Division of Human Rights (

The Human Rights Law in New York State guarantees that every citizen has an “equal opportunity to enjoy a full and productive life.”

While this article is about employment issues, the Human Rights Law also applies to education, credit, and purchasing or renting a home or commercial space. Under the law, a person cannot be discriminated against in any of these matters based on race, creed, color, National Origin, Sexual orientation, Military status, Sex, Age, Marital status, Domestic violence victim status, Disability, Pregnancy-related condition, Predisposing genetic characteristics, Prior arrest or conviction record, Gender Identity or Expression, Familial status, Lawful source of income (in housing only), or Retaliation for opposing unlawful discriminatory practices.

If you’ve been harassed or discriminated against for any of the above reasons and you have damages to prove it, there’s a very good chance that you have a legitimate case. You can learn more about filing a complaint with the Division of Human Rights at the link above or by contacting Michael Geraci, Esq. for a consultation today.

2. File a charge of Employment Discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)

By filing a charge of employment discrimination with the EEOC, a person requests the EEOC to take remedial action against an organization that has engaged in discriminatory practices or actions.

Keep in mind that there are hard deadlines or time limits for filing a charge with the EEOC, as a charge typically needs to be filed within 180 days of the discrimination taking place. There are certain circumstances that allow the limit to be pushed to 300 days, and for federal employees and job applicants, an EEO counselor must be contacted within 45 days. More information about time limits to file can be found at this link:

Some of the ways to file a charge include online in the EEOC Public Portal (, in person at an EEOC office, at a state of local fair employment practice agency, or by mail. You can also get the process started by calling the EEOC at 1-800-669-4000 or Geraci Law Offices at 585-888-6453.

These are not the only two methods to go about remedying your situation, but they are the most commonly utilized. If you’d like to talk more about your case and receive a legal consultation, don't hesitate to get in touch with Michael Geraci, Esq. at 585-888-6453 (MIKE) or by email at We look forward to hearing from you.


Recent Posts
Search By Tags
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
Follow Us
bottom of page